Right now i am doing really well with my Marie Wallin Fair Isle Club year long blanket! I am sewing it together for 3 customers, plus mine (and that is just for now...). I have really enjoyed each month so much. I am really proud of how well our customers are doing with this! I wouldn't be able to complete this project if i did not get just one section a month. I would get overwhelmed and possibly never even start! See all my pictures here on my Ravelry page. I can't wait for Marie's new club that will start in January. She won't have the details up, or booking info till the end of the month, and we will of course be offering the new club yarn in our online store. Also in January 2017 we will embarque on another year long project- the koigu Magique cloak. My mom has wanted me to knit this for her since she saw it in 1999. I finally am going to knit this for her. I have taught Maie Landra's mitered squares before in a pillow class back in 2008 and really changed it up, making it easier for today's knitter. I think my changes and tips should go here for this.
Here are the colors mom and i chose. I think it will be really stunning when complete. We have been having great fun putting these kits together here. When customers come in, we start with one of the "base" color ways we have together, and then we customize it. Our only rule is, you need at least one color you think is ugly lol. We do have kits like the original one shown below, but it looks quite different. Another funny thing we have noticed, when this yarn is all in a bag it looks like SO MUCH YARN, but when we have it on the floor, it seems so doable. How much yarn DO you need? Well 5 of the solid for the borders (i am doing pine green), 7 singles, 7 tripples, and 4 doubles! Did i mention you need only knit 12 "cubes" a month to get this done in a year? Okay you may want to start the collar NOW because it is in linen stitch. You really NEED to do it in linen stitch too so it won't stretch under the weight of the coat.
Here is how Katy and i decided to photograph this coat. We thought this showed it off the best, plus it didn't fit me. Shown here is THE coat from Koigu, knit in 1998,we have it on loan from Koigu right now. It is still so glorious and these colors look so good on so many people, yet no one here in fort wayne has picked them. This is pictured in the XL or 72" size. None of us will be making this size, i am thinking about doing the medium which is a 64" bust. It is a kimono, and it is a cloak so it needs to be large. you are just knitting cubes so you can adjust that later. I am not sure if i want to keep the length shown here, i think possibly one cube shorter.
I am already wanting to start this project.... I need to go on vacation so i can get in the groove, get organized and start it! Let me say this- i will be going down to a US 2, or possibly a US 1.5 to knit this. I will NOT be twisting or knitting in the back of each stitch- no way. By going down a needle size, i will essentially be doing the same thing, making tighter stitches which will pop out more, and look neat which is the desired effect. I will let you know what i decide.
I love this above kit with the black. We still have this exact kit here. Some kits may have some slight substitutions, but really they are all glorious. I wonder how much yarn we will have leftover.... but no worries since fingering weight is so versatile!
Will you join us in the fun?

No comments:
Post a Comment